2016 was a productive year for the Ungar Lab. Our visiting graduate researcher, Li- Cheng Hua, received his Ph.D. and is now a postdoc in the Department of Chemisty and Biochemistry working with Professor Ryan Tian. We have nine wonderful undergraduate honors student researchers, one MA student, and two PhD students all working on projects in the lab now.
We had eleven papers published in 2016, six involving graduate students working in the lab.
- Arman, S.D.; Ungar, P.S.; Brown, C.A.; DeSantis, L.; Schmidt, C.; Prideaux, G.J. Minimising inter‐microscope variability in Dental Microwear Texture Analysis. SURFACE TOPOGRAPHY: METROLOGY AND PROPERTIES, 4, 024007, 2016.
- Burgman, J.H.E.; Leichliter, J.; Avenant, N.L.; Ungar, P.S. Dental microwear of sympatric rodent species sampled across habitats in southern Africa: Implications for environmental influence. INTEGRATIVE ZOOLOGY, 11:111-127, 2016.
- Caporale, S.; Ungar, P.S. Rodent incisor microwear as a proxy for ecological reconstruction. PALAEOGEOGRAPHY, PALAEOCLIMATOLOGY, PALAEOECOLOGY. 446:225-233, 2016.
- Daegling, D.J.; Hua, L.C.; Ungar, P.S. The role of food stiffness in dental microwear feature formation. ARCHIVES OF ORAL BIOLOGY, 71:16-23, 2016.
- Delezene, L.; Teaford, M.F.; Ungar, P.S. Canine and incisor microwear in pitheciids and Ateles reflects documented patterns of tooth use. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 161:6-25, 2016.
- Hara, A.T; Livengood, S.V.; Lippert, F.; Eckert, G.J.; Ungar, P.S Dental surface texture characterization based on erosive tooth wear processes. JOURNAL OF DENTAL RESEARCH. 95: 537-542, 2016.
- Ungar, P.S.; Scott, J.R.; Steininger, C.M. Dental microwear differences between eastern and southern African fossil bovids and hominins. SOUTH AFRICAN JOURNAL OF SCIENCE, 112 (3/4) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/sajs.2016/20150393, 2016.
- Ungar, P.S.; Hlusko, The evolutionary path of least resistance. SCIENCE. 353:29-30. 2016.
- Ungar, P.S.; Evans, A. Exposing the Past: Surface topography and texture of paleontological and archaeological remains. SURFACE TOPOGRAPHY: METROLOGY AND PROPERTIES, 4 (doi:10.1088/2051-672X/4/4/040302), 2016.
- Ungar, P.S.; Healey, C.; Karme, A.; Fortelius, M.; Teaford, M.F. Dental topography and diets of platyrrhine primates. HISTORIAL BIOLOGY, 27 (1), http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08912963.2016.1255737, 2016.
- Zaatari, S. El; Grine, F.E.; Ungar, P.S.; Hublin, J.J. Neandertal versus modern human dietary responses to climate fluctuations. PLOS ONE 11(4): e0153277. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0153277, 2016.